Deep Cleaning In Salem, OR
Dr. Wendell King may have recommended that you receive a cleaning procedure called dental prophylaxis or deep cleaning. This is a process of thoroughly cleaning your teeth in order to halt progression of a serious dental disorder called periodontal disease or gingivitis.
When bacteria has gone below the gum line, infection occurs. This is why you may be noting red gums that are tender to the touch or bleed when flossing. This infection will work to destroy your gum and bone tissue. As it progresses, the tissue will being to separate from your teeth, and your teeth will begin shifting, this will make your bite uncomfortable and eventually they will fall out.
Why do I need a deep cleaning?
At King Dental, we like prophylaxis because it helps keep your entire oral cavity in good health, it will also stop the progression of your gum disease.
The benefits of prophylaxis include:
- Removing tartar: Tartar or calculus is the buildup of plaque which is full of thriving bacteria. This bacteria will cause serious periodontal problems. Home care techniques can not remove the bacterial deposits from gum pockets. Specialized dental equipment is necessary to treat problem from below the gum line.
- Identifying health issues: King is able to see signs of a variety of health issues based on your teeth. Your teeth tell a lot of tales. Keeping them clean and healthy can be important to your overall well-being.
- Aesthetics: Prophylaxis is a through cleaning of your teeth. With this process, we can remove stains, buildup, and help whiten your teeth, returning your smile to a look of health.
- Freshen your breath:Bad breath, also called halitosis, is a sign of periodontal disease. It is caused by rotting food particles below the gum line, and the gum infection that is brewing. Removal of bacteria laced plaque and calculus noticeably improves bad breath.
How is prophylaxis treatment performed?
Prophylaxis treatments are generally performed with several stages.
- Supragingival cleaning: Dr. King, along with his hygienist, will clean the area above the gum line, including the base of your teeth, along with the surface of your teeth, using scaling tools.
- Subgingival cleaning: Dr. King, along with his hygienist, will clean below the gum line. This includes your gum pockets, and removing the bacteria that has settled there.
- Root planing: With root planing, we smooth the tooth root of your teeth, this will remove the bacteria present and help bacteria from not being able to reattach as easily in the future.
- Medication: Following the scaling and root planing of your teeth, Dr. King will apply an antibiotic or antimicrobial cream. This cream will help promote fast healing in the pockets, help heal any infection, and ease any discomfort.
- X-ray and examination: Part of the procedure includes dental X-rays. This helps us identify trouble spots and the extent of bone or gum recession.
We are happy to answer any questions you have concerning prophylaxis treatment and gum disease.
Contact our Salem, OR office for more information. 503-588-0061